Project Urban Designer
Community Design + Architecture (CD+A) is looking for a thoughtful, talented, and friendly Project Urban Designer to join our team working on streetscapes and public open spaces, sustainable complete and green streets, urban revitalization, and regional transportation and land use projects.
CD+A is a small multi-disciplinary urban design, land use/transportation planning, and landscape architecture firm in downtown Oakland, California with a regional and national practice. We are an established national leader in smart growth, green sustainable, and multimodal design. Our projects are rooted in a commitment to using community-based design and planning processes to create projects that improve urban environments, and making them more vital, sustainable, equitable, and enjoyable.
We attract a wide range of projects. Currently including: redesign of two major multimodal corridors in the East Bay, design and implementation support to community groups for Oakland’s Paint the Town! effort, construction management support for the Downtown Berkeley BART Plaza and the AC Transit East Bay BRT projects (which we previously took through conceptual to final design), bus bulb/parklet research and design guidance for AC Transit, development of Oakland’s Transit Action Strategy, workforce housing assessments for MTC throughout the Bay Area, and a range of green infrastructure policy and design guidance efforts.
Award-winning projects include San Francisco’s Better Streets Plan, Valley Metro Light Rail TOD guidance and implementation strategy, and the circulation and open space element of Santa Monica’s Bergamot Area Plan.
Visit the firm page to learn more about us.
CD+A will provide you the opportunity to shape projects that significantly improve urban environments, enabling communities to achieve a more sustainable and equitable future. You will also have the opportunity to grow professionally.
Required Education and Qualifications: We are looking for a person with 8 or more years of combined professional and college-level educational experience, including:
- use of CAD in the design of public spaces and complete streets from concept design through to construction documents;
- ability to manipulate spatial databases in GIS to provide analytical findings and data visualizations for both technical work, and clearly communicating with the general public, and decision makers;
- work with the Adobe suite, Sketch-Up, and other graphic tools, including hand drawing, to develop before and after visualizations and other presentation graphics of proposed street, public space, and urban development;
- research of land use, complete streets, urban interventions, and urban design policy and design, and related writing of summary memorandums, reports, and new policies and guidance along with report layout;
- experience in a team environment, as well as working individually to produce significant work products; and,
- have a strong desire to plan and design sustainable and connected streets, public spaces, communities, cities, and regions.
Software Skills: Proficiency in – AutoCAD, ESRI ArcGIS, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop, and MS Office suite. Desirable additions – MS Access, Google Earth, SketchUp, and other visualization software
Salary for the position is dependent upon qualifications.Community Design + Architecture is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants must be authorized to work without sponsorship.
To Apply: Please attach a resume (with a contact telephone number) in either a Word or PDF document to a cover letter, and email it to email@example.com, with the subject line “For Project Urban Designer Position 0218”. Please also either include a link to your on-line portfolio or attach portfolio examples in PDF format no greater than 3.0 MB. We would appreciate your cover letter and portfolio outline how your experience, interests, and projects align with the requirements for the position. No phone calls please.