Urban Designer/ Project Urban Designer
Are you interested in helping shape projects that significantly improve urban environments? Are you passionate about enabling communities to achieve a more sustainable and equitable future? Community Design + Architecture (CD+A) is looking for a uniquely thoughtful, talented, and enthusiastic Urban Designer or Project Urban Designer to join our team.
We need a skilled designer or planner with strong design abilities with 4-10 years of experience with interest ranging from policy development to getting projects built. Someone who is experienced in working at various scales ranging from the details of streetscape, public open space, and transit facility design to sustainable complete and green streets, urban revitalization and planning of corridors and districts, and city and regional transportation and land use projects. You will have the opportunity to grow personally and professionally as part of the CD+A team. For candidates with demonstrated level of experience and skills, we see you moving into project management quickly.
We are a small multi-disciplinary urban design firm in downtown Oakland, California with a regional and national practice focusing on land use/transportation design, and landscape architecture. We are an established national leader in smart growth, green sustainable infrastructure and complete streets, and corridor and district revitalization. Our projects are rooted in a commitment to using community-based design and planning processes to create projects that improve urban environments and making them more vital, sustainable, equitable, and enjoyable.
We attract a wide range of projects, which currently includes: redesign of major multimodal corridors in the East Bay, construction documentation and administration support for trails and streets, community outreach and bus stop design for AC Transit’s Rapid Corridors projects on Telegraph and Grand/West Grand, community planning, and regional land use/transportation policy and funding efforts for MTC
Award-winning projects include San Francisco’s Better Streets Plan, Valley Metro Light Rail TOD guidance and implementation strategy, East Whisman Precise Plan, Telegraph Avenue protected bikeway, and the circulation and open space element of Santa Monica’s Bergamot Area Plan.
We are currently all working remotely with the expectation of returning to the office at some point later this year. Some level of remote work moving forward is negotiable.
Visit our firm page to learn more about us.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in landscape architecture, urban planning, urban design, geography or sustainability, architecture or a related field and 4-10 years of relevant experience.
- Proficiency in the use of AutoCAD in the design of public spaces and complete streets, and developing construction drawings;
- Experience in developing Sketch-Up models for streetscape and complete streets projects;
- Proficiency with basic spatial analytics and ArcGIS (experience with spatial data visualization on Google Earth/Google Map, QGIS, OSM and other visualization software is a plus);
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite;
- Proficiency working with the Adobe suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat), and other graphic tools, including hand drawing, to develop before and after visualizations and other presentation graphics of proposed street, public space, and urban development;
- Research of land use, complete streets, urban interventions, and urban design policy and design;
- Self-motivated and capable of working collaboratively and independently with an increasing level of project management with more years of experience;
- Strong design and graphic sense as well as organizational and communication skills;
- Knowledge of California codes and regulations is a plus;
- Experience in preparing RFP/RFQ response submittals a plus;
- Experience managing projects and coordinating with team consultants is desired with increasing years of experience; and,
- Have a strong desire to plan and design sustainable and connected streets, public spaces, communities, cities, and regions.
CD+A is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants must be authorized to legally work in the United States without sponsorship.
Salary for the position is dependent upon qualifications. This is a full time position. Medical, retirement, and other benefits included.
To Apply: Please attach a resume and cover letter (with a contact telephone number) outlining how your experience, interests, and projects align with the requirements for the position, in either a Word or PDF document and email it to jobs[at]community-design.com, with the subject line “For Urban Designer / Project Urban Designer Position 0521”. Also, either include a link to your on-line portfolio or attach portfolio examples in PDF format no greater than 10 MB. No phone calls please. Apologies, we will not respond confirming receipt of your application.